What is it?
Astigmatism is an imperfection in the curvature of the cornea or in the lens of the eye
. Normally, the cornea and lens are homogeneous and equally curved . However, if the cornea or lens do not have the same shape and they are not homogeneous, the light entering through the eye focuses in more than one point on the retina
and causes blurred and a distorted vision
. This pathology may be genetic, but may also occur due to a surgical intervention or an ocular trauma.
Astigmatism can be linked to hyperopia
, in which case the patient may suffer dizziness, severe headaches, visual fatigue, itching, stinging and redness in the eyes.
Types of astigmatism
There are several types of astigmatism according to their clinical presentation.
- Regular astigmatism: It is hereditary.
- Irregular astigmatism: It occurs due to trauma, or surgery.
- Corneal astigmatism: the cornea has two different curvatures.
- Simple myopic astigmatism: It has one point of focus in the retina and another one in front of it (associated with myopia)
- Composite myopia astigmatism: It has two or more different focus points in front of the retina. (Associated with myopia)
- Simple hypermetropic astigmatism: It has a focus point on the retina and several focus points behind the retina. (Associated with farsightedness)
- Hypermetropic composite astigmatism: It has several focus points behind the retina. (Associated with farsightedness)
- Mixed astigmatism: It has focus points in front and behind the retina.
In our clinic we used Lasik surgery to correct astigmatism in Alicante
This pathology can not be prevented, but it can be corrected by surgical treatments such as the lasik technique or the implantation of an intraocular lens.
How is it treated?
It can be treated by LASIK eye surgery
techniques or the implantation of an intraocular lens. The operation has excellent and satisfactory results, eliminating this pathology definitively
. The ophthalmologist is the one who has to choose what type of treatment is the best for each patient. The patient will have a complete previous study at the clinic, to determine which is the most appropriate treatment .